One of my most memorable (next to my first taste of lobster) dishes when I was growing up was this recipe. I had never tried artichokes before and really didn't think I would like them. Like them? I absolutely fell in love with them, especially this creamy and delightfully tasty appetizer. This recipe shows you what you can accomplish with the barest of ingredients, letting the flavor of artichokes shine through. You can use canned artichokes as well, but they are slightly too soft for my palate. As for using fresh artichokes, they are easy enough to cook if you are going to eat them out of their leafy "bowl", but to prepare them fully for this recipe is too time consuming.
For 3 people
- 8 ounce(s) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 6 ounce(s) sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) onion powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon(s) Italian seasoning
Artichoke Gratinee Directions
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees F. Drain the artichokes well and snip off the stem as close to the bulb as possible in order for them to be able to stand up. Separate the middle of each heart slightly so that cheese can fall inside. Place, snipped side down, in a baking pan, snuggling them close to each other. Sprinkle garlic and onion powder evenly over each artichoke heart. Evenly sprinkle with cheese and top with Italian seasoning and salt and black pepper to taste. Bake on the top shelf of your oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese has completely melted and the artichokes are sufficiently hot. Remove and serve hot. Enough for 3-4 appetizers.