Deliciously Cheesy Irish Boxty
Boxty's are prepared and cooked in many different variations. Some enjoy this 'must have' side to the classic British breakfast puffy and soft, while others enjoy it crispy. Being a Yankee, I enjoy crisp potato with my breakfast, and with the addition of Cheddar cheese, I think you will be making this year round. Did I mention it is fat free by the way(with the exception of the cooking oil)?
For 6 Serving(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded raw potatoes
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded apple
- 1/2 cup(s) powdered rolled oats *
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) each nutmeg, salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) fat free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoon(s) oil
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded Cheddar cheese
Deliciously Cheesy Irish Boxty Directions
- Place all ingredients, except oil and cheese, in a bowl and mix very well; set aside. Place oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When hot, pour half the Boxty mix into the skillet, spreading it out to cover bottom of pan. Evenly sprinkle cheese over the top and pour remaining Boxty mix over the cheese. Again, spreading it out evenly, covering cheese. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and let cook for 6-8 minutes, or until well browned on the underside. Carefully flip over, cover and continue cooking an additional 6-8 minutes, or until browned on bottom as well. Remove from heat, cut into wedges and serve immediately.
- * This works so much better than the usual flour added to Boxty, but each are interchangeable. To make powdered rolled oats, simply place oats in a blender or food processor and pulse until it is in powdered form.