Caramel Apple Oatmeal
My inspiration? Simply wishing I were at the fair in the summertime, instead of indoors during this brutal Maine winter. This recipe is filling without any fat and it tastes identical to that caramel apple on a stick, but much easier to eat.
For 2 people
- 2 1/2 cups apple cider or juice
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup fat free evaporated milk
- 1 Granny smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 3 tablespoons apple jelly
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
Caramel Apple Oatmeal Directions
- Place apple cider and oats in a medium saucepan.* Place on stove top and turn on to medium heat. Stir frequently while cooking 5 minutes, or until creamy.
- Meanwhile, make topping by adding brown sugar, milk, apple , apple jelly and brown sugar to another saucepan over medium high heat. Stirring ocassionally, cook until apples have softened and sauce is a medium brown color, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, ladle cooked oatmeal into 2 serving bowls and top with equal amounts of apple topping on each. Serve immediately.
- * This makes a very creamy oatmeal dish. For a dryer, denser and bulkier bowl of cereal(you know, the kind our parents and grandparents made us as children), add the oatmeal into boiling apple cider and cook according to directions above.