Cinnamon Crunch Roll
I wanted to create a cake roll that is not only super easy to make, but foolproof and fail-safe. And this is just a recipe. Such a great way to have breakfast or dessert anytime of day. A cross between a cinnamon roll and a dessert cake roll, but with a ton more flavor. Adding a crunchy cinnamon filling and topping makes this recipe a Yanked favorite with the taste of vanilla mingling perfectly with cinnamon, all rolled up in a super moist sponge cake.
For 8 Serving(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) flour
- 1/4 cup(s) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s) plus 2 teaspoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon(s) cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon(s) vanilla
- 1 cup(s) sifted flour
- 2 cup(s) vanilla frosting
- 1 cup(s) powdered sugar plus more for rolling cake
- 1/4 cup(s) water
Cinnamon Crunch Roll Directions
- In a bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon very well. Add to a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook 3 minutes, constantly stirring and breaking up. Transfer to a plate, spread out and refrigerate 5 minutes. Remove to break up into smaller pieces. Place back in the refrigerator until needed. If there are still large pieces, place in a baggie and use a rollling pin to crush.
- Meanwhile for the cake, using a tabletop or hand held mixer, beat eggs, sugar, orange zest and vanilla in a large bowl, on high, until almost tripled in volume. This will take about 5-6 minutes. Add flour, a quarter cup at a time to the egg mixture and gently fold in completely. Pour into prepared pan, level off the top and bake 12-13 minutes, or until springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven to cool for 1 minute. Lay a kitchen towel or large piece of film wrap on counter, sprinkle heavily with powdered sugar and quickly invert cake onto it.
- Start rolling from the long side, gently, making sure you use the towel as a guide to prevent cake from sticking to your fingers. Place the roll back into the pan, seam-side down, cover with film wrap and completely cool on counter.
- Slowly and carefully, unroll cake, spread with vanilla frosting evenly over the entire inside surface of roll. Sprinkle half the Cinnamon Crunchies over the frosting. Reroll back into its orginal shape. Wrap entirely with film wrap and place in refrigerator at least 2 hours. When ready to serve, make icing by mixing 1 cup powdered sugar and water until smooth; set aside.
- Unwrap roll, pour icing over the top with the remainder of the Cinnamon Crunchies.
- NOTE:To make this even easier to assemble, cut roll in half before refrigerating and filling.