Homemade Breakfast Sausage
I probably should call this Spicy Breakfast Sausage on one hand, but on the other, I believe that all breakfast sausage should have the peppery kick so often not found in todays prepared, supermarket sausage. It is the crunch and immediate flavor of black pepper that should be tasted upon the very first bite. But if you don't have cracked black pepper available in your spice rack, substitute ground black pepper.
For 1 Batch(es)
- 1 lb(s) ground pork *
- 2 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) each salt and cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) each sage, savory and Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) celery seeds, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) red pepper flakes
Homemade Breakfast Sausage Directions
- Simply place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well before forming into patties and cooking.
- * If you truly want to start from scratch, pulse 1 pound boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch chunks. in your food processor with all ingredients until it resembles sausage. This way, you can trim any amount of fat from the pork, but remember to leave some.
- For Maple Breakfast Sausage, simply add 1/4 cup maple syrup to above recipe.