Banana "Creme" French Toast
This recipe is out of this world. Making your own Creme Fraiche is both simple and transforms this ordinary breakfast dish into a recipe to serve anytime. Believe it or not, it will take longer to cook this perfect French Toast than it will to prepare it.
For 3 Serving(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract or 2 teaspoons imitation vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup(s) plus 1 tablespoon cup skim milk, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 3 (4-inch)thick slices French bread
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 tablespoon(s) maple syrup
- Nonstick cooking spray
Banana "Creme" French Toast Directions
- In a small saucepan, make creme fraiche by adding sugar, eggs, vanilla, 1 1/4 cups milk and cinnamon. Whisk well and bring to scalding over medium heat, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and whisk constantly for 4-5 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat, transfer to a shallow bowl and refrigerate for 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375-degrees F. Spray a pie tin with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. With a pointed steak knife, make a deep slit in each, forming a pocket, but don't cut all the way to the other side. Stir maple syrup into the mashed bananas. Spoon equal amounts into each bread pocket. Remove creme fraiche from refrigerator and whisk in remainder of milk until smooth. Dip filled bread slices into creme fraiche, turning over a few times to thickly coat each. Place in prepared pie tin and bake in the hottest part of the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until starting to brown on top. This step can be quickened by baking for 15 minutes then transferred to the broiler for about 3 minutes to brown on top. Remove and serve as is or with maple syrup drizzled on top.