Warm Pumpkin Spice Donuts
What a great start to a cold New England morning. I think the picture speaks for itself here.
Share This Recipe
For 1 Batch(es)
- 3 cup(s) flour
- 1 tablespoon(s) baking powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) pumpkin spice blend
- 1 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 2 cup(s) canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup(s) milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon(s) molasses
- Oil for frying
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- Cinnamon Sugar Coating, recipe below or.....
- White Maple Glaze, recipe below
Warm Pumpkin Spice Donuts Directions
- In a large bowl, combine first 4 ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together the next 5 ingredients well. Pour the liquid to the dry and stir until well combined. Cover with film wrap and place in refrigerator while heating 2 inches oil in a large, sturdy pot to 350-degrees F over medium heat, or use deep fryer, heating according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Remove the donut batter from refrigerator and turn onto a well floured work surface. Knead for about 10-15 seconds, or until the dough is no longer sticking to the work surface or your hands. Roll out to about an inch thick. With a donut cutter or a 3-4-inch rim of a cup or glass, cut out donuts, dipping the rim or cutter into flour frequently. If you are using anything but a donut cutter, take the screw cap off a soft drink bottle, dip in flour often and press in the middle of each dount. Simply pop out donut hole between each cutting.
- Brush off excess flour and gently add donuts to the heated oil, a couple at a time, remembering to give yourself a few minutes between cooking for the oil to reheat back to temperature. Cook 2-3 minutes per side or until nicely browned all over. Transfer to a rack that has been placed over a baking pan lined with paper towels. Let cool for 10 minutes before dusting with Cinnamon Sugar Coating. Spray each donut with butter-flavored cooking spray on both sides before tossing to coat. If using White Maple Glaze, dunk on both sides, further cooling on rack for the glaze to harden.
- To make Cinnamon Sugar, simply blend 1 cup sugar with 1 tablespoon cinnamon.
- To make White Maple Glaze, simply whisk together 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar with 1/4 cup water and 2 teaspoons maple flavoring.
- Makes asbout 18 donuts