Sweet Peach Sticks
These yummy treats are a great snack for dipping in hot cocoa, following with a cold glass of milk or setting in front of the kids while they are watching Saturday morning cartoons(or do children still do that?) Regardless, use other fruits as desired, such as pears, apples or even mashed bananas.
For 1 Batch(es)
- 1 3/4 cup(s) flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1/2 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, melted
- 10 ounce(s) (3/4 of a 15-ounce can)sliced peaches in syrup
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray, if using
- Cinnamon sugar, recipe below
Sweet Peach Sticks Directions
- In a bowl, add the peaches and all of the syrup. Mash with a fork or pulse in a blender or food processor until peaches are cut into very small bits; set aside. In a large bowl, combine first 5 ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together the next 2 ingredients well. Pour the liquid to the dry and stir until well combined. Fold in the prepared peaches. Cover with film wrap and place in refrigerator while heating 2 inches oil in a large, sturdy pot to 350-degrees F over medium heat.
- Remove the batter from refrigerator and turn onto a well floured work surface. Knead for about 10-15 seconds, or until the dough is no longer sticking to the work surface or your hands. Roll out to about an inch thick, in a rectangular form, and about 12-inches by 6-inches. With a floured pizza cutter or sharp, non-serrated knife, cut strips of dough 6-inches long.
- Carefully add sticks to the heated oil 4-5 at a time. Cook 2-3 mintues per side or until nicely browned all over, remembering to allow the oil to come back to temperature between cooking. Transfer to a rack that has been placed over a baking pan lined with paper towels. Let cool for 10 minutes. Lightly spray all sides of sticks with nonstick cooking spray and dip in sugar mixture to evenly coat.
- To make Cinnamon Sugar, simply blend 1 cup sugar with 1 tablespoon cinnamon.
- Makes about 20 sticks