Hearthside Puff Pastries
For those of you who don't want to waste the money on a fruitcake only to have one slice and use the rest as a door stop, this recipe's for you. It gives you the slight taste of the essence of fruitcake but in a airy, crunchy envelope of pastry. This recipe makes four portions and will have you making it again. I love the apple base with the fruited boost.
For 1 Batch(es)
- 1 teaspoon(s) cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon(s) imitation vanilla(if using extract, use 1 teaspoon with 1 teaspoon water)
- 1/2 (17.3-ounce)pkg. frozen puff pastry sheets
- 1 cup(s) apple cider or juice
- 2 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- Pinch each of cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup(s) mixed, dried fruit of your choice(refer to NOTE)
- 4 teaspoon(s) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon(s) milk
Hearthside Puff Pastries Directions
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and vanilla until smooth: set aside. In a medium saucepan, add cider, sugar, spices, apple and dried fruit. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce to medium and let lightly boil for 4-5 minutes, or until apples are done and the liquid has thickened. Remove from heat, and quickly stir in the cornstarch slurry. Transfer to bowl and refrigerate until cooled, about 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile, thaw 1 sheet of puff pastry according to directions. Dust a work surface lightly with powdered sugar or flour. Place the thawed puff pastry sheet onto prepared work surface and roll out into a thin, 12-inch square. Cut into 4 even squares, using a large knife or pizza cutter. Place on a parchment-lined sheet pan or nonstick cookie sheet.
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees F. Remove apple mixture from refrigerator. Spoon about a tablespoon or more apple filling into the center of each pastry square. Dampen the edges slightly with a wet finger and fold over to make triangles, pressing to seal. Mix the granulated sugar with milk and brush the tops of each filled pastry evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tops are golden brown and each has risen significantly. Remove to cool 5 minutes, transferring to wire rack to finish cooling or enjoy warm with whipped cream or real vanilla ice cream.
- NOTE:You may substitute candied fruit in place of dried. Simply mix into apple filling after cooking before transferring to refrigerator.