Original Yankee Corn Cakes
The preparation looks complicated but it is super simple! A little time and patience will reward you with a delightfully satisfying meal with protein acting as an accompaniment rather than the focus.
Share This Recipe
For 4 people
- 2 3/4 cups apple cider or juice, divided
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspon Chinese 5-spice powder
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced pepperoni
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons apple schnapps(see NOTE)
Original Yankee Corn Cakes Directions
- Line an 8-inch square pan with film wrap, bringing it up the sides; set aside.
- Bring 2 1/2 cups cider, raisins, salt and Chinese 5-spice powder to a boil over medium heat. In a thin stream, add the cornmeal, whisking constantly until all of it has been added. Reduce heat to low and simmer 4 minutes, stirring almost constantly, until it has thickened substantially. Stir in cheese until completely melted.
- Let cool for a couple minutes before pouring into prepared pan, smoothing out the top. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- When ready, halve, core and wedge apples.
Add to a large skillet with the pepperoni over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until apples are crisp tender. Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon, cleaning skillet. Heat oil over medium heat until shimmering. Remove polenta from refrigerator and cut out rounds with a cookie cutter, using whatever size you desire. Add to oil and cook on both sides until lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Remove polenta slices to a dish and set aside. With pan still on heat, add remainder cider with schnapps and bring to a boil, whisking well. Once boiling, add the polenta slices back into pan and coat each slice well.
- Assemble dish by simply adding desired amount of polenta slices to a serving plate and add desired amount of cooked apples and pepperoni. Serve hot.
- NOTE: Do NOT use green-colored SOUR apple-flavored schnapps in this recipe. The sour flavor is not only too pronounced to add favorable character to the glaze here, but adds an off taste that is not pleasant. My favorite is an apple pie-flavored apple schnapps, but any clear of tan colored schnapps would be perfectly acceptable.
- Enough for 2-4