Fat Free Pancakes with Macerated Berries
Inspired by my recent request to prepare a meal for picky children while, at the same time, making it as healthy as possible with ingredients found easily. Well this recipe fits the bill in so many ways. Easy to prepare, astonishing delicious and completely fat free with the exception of the cooking spray. One quick note for any of you who may want to email me about letting pancake batter rest before cooking. NONSENSE is my answer. In fact, pancake mix is far superior when you use it immediately. The longer it sits, the less volume it creates when cooking. It's Just That Simple!
For 7 Serving(s)
- 1 3/4 cups mixed, frozen berry medley *
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup fat free, plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fat free evaporated milk
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Nonstick cooking spray
Fat Free Pancakes with Macerated Berries Directions
- Place berry medley in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring and crushing the berries as it heats up. When it is boiling, and mashed just enough to keep it chunky, you will notice the liquid has turned to syrup. Immediately remove from heat and set aside while making pancakes.
- In a large bowl, mix flour and baking powder well. Add yogurt, milk, egg white, honey, vanilla and raisins. Stir until everything is completely mixed, but it does not have to be smooth. Heat your griddle, or large skillet, that has been greased with nonstick cooking spray over medium heat(350-degrees F if using an electric griddle). Spoon enough batter to make about 3-4-inch in diameter pancakes. Cook until bubbles form around the edges and it is medium brown in color; flip. Continue cooking until the bottom is as browned as the top and cooked throughout. Serve with macerated berry medley.
- Makes about 6(3-plus inch)pancakes
- * You can use any type of berry medley.