Apple Pie French Toast
My favorite French Toast recipe that acts as either breakfast or a dessert. Dollop whipped cream on top if desired or a scoop of caramel ice cream. No syrup needed!
Share This Recipe
For 6 Serving(s)
- firm apples*
- 1/4 cup(s) cornstarch
- 1 cup(s) sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon(s) grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon(s) each cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1 cup(s) apple jelly, whisked smooth
- 1/2 cup(s) orange juice
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup(s) butter or margarine, melted
- slices bread, stale if possible
- 2 tablespoon(s) granulated sugar mixed with 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
Apple Pie French Toast Directions
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Peel, core and wedge apples; place in a large bowl. Toss with cornstarch, 1/2 cup sugar, orange zest, cinnamon and nutmeg. Empty apple mixture into an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan, evening out. Drizzle apple jelly over the top; set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together orange juice, eggs and melted butter. Cut each bread slice into 4 triangles. Dip in orange juice mixture, coating both sides and arrange over the apples. Repeat until all bread is used, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle the top of the bread slices with sugar/ginger mixture and bake 40-45 minutes, or until the apples are softened and bubbly and the French Toast is crispy and starting to darken. Remove from oven to serve hot or let cool before serving.
- * Granny Smiths are great here but I find Cortlands, new Macs, Delicious are equally at home here.