Summer Grilled Veggie and Cheese Sandwich
What a great way to enjoy both Grilled Cheese and what I think goes perfectly in this type of sandwich, fresh veggies.
Share This Recipe
For 2 Serving(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) minced garlic in oil
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoon(s) apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoon(s) extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 medium sized summer squash, cut into 4 lengthwise slices
- 4 thick slices of Ciabatta bread
- 6 ounce(s) queso fresco cheese, cut into 8 slices
Summer Grilled Veggie and Cheese Sandwich Directions
- In a food processor or blender, puree the basil, garlic, cayenne and vinegar until blended well but still chunky, about 5-7 seconds. With the machine still running, gradually pour in the olive oil and continue for another 5 seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat outdoor grill to high heat. Brush the summer squash slices with olive oil. Grill over direct heat until charred and just barely tender, about 1-2 minutes per side. Remove and cut each squash slice in half crosswise.
- Remove and spread each slice of bread with our basil pesto, followed by a slice of cheese, an even amount of grilled summer squash and another slice of cheese. Top with other half of grilled bread. Now lightly oil the top and bottom of each sandwich. Reduce heat to low and place sandwiches on the grill and cook over indirect heat for about 3 minutes per side, or until nicely browned and crisp.