Not only are bagels super easy to make, they are fun, if you want to know the truth. With its just crispy crust and chewy inside, these bagels will prevent you from making those trips to the nearest donut shop.
Certainly you can omit the topping if you are eating these bagels for breakfast. I devised this recipe with children's sandwiches in mind.
For 6 Serving(s)
- 1 envelope (2.5 tsps) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon(s) sugar
- 1 cup(s) warm water
- 2 cup(s) bread flour (not all purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- Savory Topping:
- 1 teaspoon(s) dehydrated onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon(s) dehydrated garlic
- 1 teaspoon(s) poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon(s) sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) black pepper
Savory Bagels Directions
- Using either the bowl of a mixer or other bowl, combine east, sugar and water; let stand 5 minutes. Add the flour and salt and stir until it forms a ball. If using a stand mixer, use dough hook. If needed, use more flour to prevent it from being sticky but only a tablespoon at a time.
Remove dough from bowl and knead until smooth and elastic on floured work surface, about 3-4 minutes.(Hey, if our ancestors can knead bread for minutes on end, so can we) Place dough ball in an oiled bowl, cover with film wrap and let rise until double in bulk, about an hour.
Over medium heat, bring a large pot of water to a gently boil and at the same time, preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- When dough has risen, remove from bowl and place on floured work surface. Divide into 6 equal pieces and shape each into a very solid ball, making sure you pinch the seam. Lay on a platter or baking sheet and let rest 15 minutes. Now shaping the bagel.
Poke a hole through the center of each dough ball with a finger or your thumb, careful not to split the bagel dough to the side. Now stretch out the dough into an even larger ring, making the hole larger than you actually want it. Repeat with remainder of the dough balls.
Working only a few at a time, gently drop the bagels into the boiling water for 2 minutes, then turn over to boil for 1 minute. Remove, carefully, to a clean-towel lined plate using 2 forks, spaghetti fork or handled strainer, repeat for rest of bagels.
Place the drained bagels on a waxed paper lined(or use parchment paper)baking sheet, brush with the beaten egg, sprinkle with Savory Topping evenly and bake 22-25 minutes, or until browned on top.
- Savory Topping: Mix all ingredients in a bowl completely.