Strawberry Batter Bread
Ahhh....old fashioned batter bread, the way our fore"mothers" used to make. Batter bread is still made frequently down South because of its' ease and consistent result. No kneading, just stir, proof and bake. It's Just That Simple!™
For 1 Batch(es)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 cups flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 (.25-ounce)package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 1 cup chopped, fresh strawberries
Strawberry Batter Bread Directions
- Evenly coat a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In a small saucepan, heat milk, honey and butter until butter has completely melted and milk is almost scalding; set aside. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl, mixing very well. Pour hot milk mixture into dry ingredients and, with an electric beater or mixer, beat together until well incorporated.
- Remove beaters and mix in remaining flour, cranberries and strawberries evenly. Pour into prepared pan, loosely cover and let rise until it is about an inch above the rim of the pan, about an hour.
- Heat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Bake bread 30-35 minutes, or until it sounds a little hollow when tapped on top and the crust has turned a nice golden brown. Remove from oven to cool slightly before removing from pan and cooling completely on wire rack.