Christmas Blueberry-Cranberry Gelee
We are talking about a dessert that is elegant, exploding with taste and "melt in your mouth" smooth. It is Gelee. This is simply a French word for jelly, or a little deeper-flavored gelatin to be precise. I have always enjoyed both preparing and devouring Gelee, especially when they are made with fresh fruit and sparkling wine. This dessert fully compliments the heavy, savory dinner everyone has enjoyed during your Holiday feast. Perfect for a formal gathering as well as informal.
This dessert is made festive by the addition of a while chocolate candy cane sprinkled with the colors of the Holiday.
For 6 people
- 2 envelopes unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 cup(s) fresh blueberries
- 2 cup(s) fresh cranberries
- 5 cup(s) water, divided
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 6 ounce(s) white chocolate, melted
- multi-colored sprinkles
Christmas Blueberry-Cranberry Gelee Directions
- Place blueberries in a blender or food processor with 1 1/2 cups water. Pulse until blueberries are as smooth as possible, this may take 15-20 seconds. Remove and pour through a fine sieve into a large saucepan. Place cranberries in a saucepan with 3 cups water and the sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 3-3 1/2 minutes, or until cranberries pop and are soft, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup water and let sit 5 minutes or until softened. Remove cranberries from heat, let cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour cranberries and liquid, along with the softened gelatin with water, in a food processor or blender until as smooth as possible. Remove and strain through fine sieve into saucepan containing blueberry juice. Heat on medium until scalding and remove from heat. Let cool for 15 minutes, stir and divide into 6 serving glasses, each with about 3/4 cups Gelee. Cover the rims with film wrap and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
- Melt chocolate in microwaveable bowl until melted, about 2 minutes. Line a baking sheet with waxed or parchment paper. I use Christmas cookie cutter but you can use whatever shape you like. Place a cookie cutter onto the waxed paper and drizzle in the melted chocolate. Top with sprinkles and let firm in the refrigerator until needed.
- To serve, simple dollop some Creme Fraiche(use whipped cream or plain yogurt if desired as well) and grab your chocolate candy cane to lay on top of each serving.