Easy-Cheesy Squash Casserole
I think this just may be the first casserole I have published. I don't know why actually. Even though I grew up on Tuna Casserole and Chicken Wiggle, it seems so "70s", until now. This recipe is a great addition to any Holiday table and I do hope you give it a try.
For 6 Serving(s)
- About a 2 pound squash of your choice
- 2 teaspoon(s) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) minced garlic in oil
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, halved, seeded and diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 8 ounce(s) yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried, crushed thyme
- 1 cup(s) shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup(s) fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, melted
Easy-Cheesy Squash Casserole Directions
- Peel, seed and dice squash into 1-inch chunks. Add to saucepan with enough water to cover and cook over medium heat until just tender, about 12 minutes. Drain well, transfer to a large bowl and set aside. Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add garlic, onions and bell peppers. Stir and cook for 4-6 minutes, or until vegetables are just starting to soften. Add onion mixture to the bowl of squash. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, yogurt and thyme well. Add to squash mixture. Add Gruyere cheese, tossing everything well, seasoning to atste with salt and black pepper. Transfer to a 9-inch baking pan. Mix bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese and melted butter. Sprinkle evenly over the top and bake 30-35 minutes, or until bubbling and browned on top. Remove to serve immediately.