Crispy and Smooth Spanakopitas
I really shouldn't even classify this dish as a meal because in Greece, it is mainly eaten as a snack, much like we enjoy chicken wings here in the U.S.. But I find that by adding a fresh, crisp salad and some crusty bread, it does satisfy, especially when you don't want to feel bloated after a meal.(Remember Thanksgiving and Christmas everyone?). For a great change of pace, you don't have to stick with spinach. Cook up some other leafy greens such as sorrel, Swiss chard, turnip greens, beet greens, collard greens or kohlrabi. As for the cheese, I wouldn't substitute anything for this fine Greek staple.
For 6 people
- 1 lb(s) fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup(s) olive oil
- 1 small bunch green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoon(s) dried dill
- 1 pinch(es) ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 lb(s) feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 lb(s) ricotta cheese
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 (17-oz) package of frozen phyllo sheets, thawed
Crispy and Smooth Spanakopitas Directions
- Rinse and drain the spinach very, very well. Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Saute onions 2 minutes. Add spinach and dill and continue cooking for 4 minutes, or until the spinach is just barely wilted. Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Spinach mixture should be on the dry side. Remove from heat and set the spinach aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the feta and eggs until just mixed. Add the cooled spinach mixture and mix until just combined.
- Spray a 9 x 12 oven pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spray 2 sheets with cooking spray. Cut each sheet into 4 x 4-inch squares. Place half of the squares onto prepared sheet pan and add 2 T. spinach mixture onto each square.
- Whip ricotta cheese in a bowl to smooth. Dollop a tablespoon or two onto the center of each spinach mound and cover with the remainder of the spinach mixture so each square has an even amount. Press with a spatula to flatten. Layer the remainder of the squares over the spinach mixture, making sure to spray the top of each with cooking spray.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven until the Spanokopita turns a deep golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.