Cajun Shrimp Mac and Cheese
A stove top method of a deliciously creamy, and spicy, mac and cheese. Although I prefer the stove top when making mac and cheese, many prefer to have a crisp crust on top. If you are one of these, just pour your make cheesy goodness in an 8 by 10 casserole dish and sprinkle a mixture of 1 cup dried bread crumbs with 1/2 cup dried parmesan cheese and 3 tablespoons melted butter. Evenly sprinkle over the top and bake for about 20 minutes.
Share This Recipe
For 4 Serving(s)
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 1/2 cups macaroni, uncooked
- 1/2 pound cooked crab meat
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning*
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup each Pepper jack and Parmesan cheese, shredded
- cup each Pepper jack and Parmesan cheese, shredded
Cajun Shrimp Mac and Cheese Directions
Add butter to large skillet over medium heat. When butter has melted, add shrimp. Cook until pink, about 4 minutes per side, depending on the size shrimp you are using; remove from heat and set pan aside. Cook macaroni in a large saucepan until desired doneness. Drain, returning pasta to the saucepan.Add cooked shrimp, crab meat and peas, blending well. Transfer to large bowl. cover and set aside.;
In the same saucepan, add both milks and place over medium heat. Using rubber spatula to prevent scorching, bring milk to almost scalding. Add Cajun seasoning and cayenne and all cheese, continuing to stir while cheese melts and cheese sauce has thickened. Add pasta to seafood mixture, stirring well and continue cooking an additional 3 minutes before removing from heat, season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot.
* To make your own Cajun seasoning(with some left over), simply blend 1/2 tablespoon each garlic powder, paprika and salt. Add 1 teaspoon each black and cayenne peppers, dried thyme and onion powder.