Summer Veggie Cakes
This is one of those times where just a pinch of protein, in the way of ham, is all it takes to satisfy that carnivorous side of you. Certainly omit the ham if desired, but the flavor, texture and satisfaction of these side cakes, or entree, is perfect for any course. Why did I peel the zucchini first? Because the less green my children(as I am sure most other kids)see in their food, the more likely they are to eat and enjoy it. Leave skin on if you don't have that problem.
For 7 Serving(s)
- 1/4 cup shredded summer squash, skin on
- 1/4 cup shredded zucchini, peeled
- 1/4 cup whole kernel corn
- 1/4 cup lite or fat free salad dressing
- 1/4 cup cornmeal, plus more for coating
- 1/4 cup shredded apple
- 1/4 cup minced, smoked ham
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic and onion powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons pure olive oil
- Oriental "Plomb" Sauce, recipe below
Summer Veggie Cakes Directions
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except oil and Plomb Sauce, mixing well; set aside. Place an additional 1/4-cup cornmeal in a plate. Scoop out 6-7 equal sized portions of vegetable mixture and lightly roll in cornmeal; set aside.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet until hot. Carefully place prepared cakes into skillet, flattening out to about an inch in thickness. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook about 5-7 minutes, or until browned. Remove lid to flip each cake over and cover once again.
- Continue cooking until lightly browned on bottom, about another 5-7 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare Oriental "Plomb" Sauce. Peel, pit and roughly chop 1 fresh plumb. Place in a food processor or blender along with 1 cup pomegranate juice and 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Puree on high until as smooth as possible. Strain into a small saucepan and gently boil over medium heat until slighly reduced, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Serve veggie cakes hot with sauce.
- Makes 7(1/4-cup)cakes